Self-perception doesn’t completely correspond to reality . We all have and need our little lies and knowledge gaps about ourselves to cope with the human imperfections. However, if you know yourself it’s easier to control yourself and this is advantageous in many aspects of life.
- Cohort and twin studies show that self-control in children predicts physical health, substance dependence, and personal finance .
- Authentic happiness is the identification of your fundamental strengths and their application in the daily life. This identification goes hand in hand with your self-knowledge .
- Health literacy is associated with health itself . In other words, if you are informed about health, healthy lifestyle and your status quo, it is more likely that you apply this knowledge and stay healthy.
- Wilson, T.D. and E.W. Dunn, Self-Knowledge: Its Limits, Value, and Potential for Improvement. Annual Review of Psychology, 2004. 55(1): p. 493-518.
- Moffitt, T.E., et al., A gradient of childhood self-control predicts health, wealth, and public safety. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2011. 108(7): p. 2693-2698.
- Huang, P.H., Authentic Happiness, Self-Knowledge and Legal Policy. 9 Minnesota Journal of Law, Science & Technology, 2008. 755.
- Berkman, N.D., et al., Low health literacy and health outcomes: an updated systematic review. Annals of Internal Medicine, 2011. 155(2): p. 97-107.